16 August 2010

Great Lakes Agate and Pearl Necklace


I finished stringing the Lake Superior agates I purchased on my trip to Glen Arbor. I added some fresh water pearls and the frosted pale blue stone which is jade. I could not resist adding the jade because it reminded me of the beautiful blue of Lake Michigan.

I have a strong connection to the Great Lakes. My Grandparents were both born and raised on the shores of Lake Superior. The steamship drawing above was done by my Grandfather. It was drawn on the inside cover of his Health Primer dated 1885. He was born in 1890 and probably made this drawing around the turn of the century.

The Primer is an interesting piece of history with chapters on alcohol, tobacco and opium... that was once used to.... sooth crying babies?!...YIKES. Love the skeleton lurking in the corner. I envision my Grandfather busy sketching instead of listening to the ills of fermented grape juice and instead, dreaming about a life sailing the Great Lakes and beyond, much like the Merchant Marine that he would later become.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love hunting for 'treasures' along the shores of Lake Michigan! Thank you for your blog, I was very enjoyable to read and reminded me I need some 'treasure hunting' time, soon!