16 January 2009

New Year New Juice Old Projects



I just finished reading a comment on my last blog entry from Jennspiration and it was just the jump start that I needed to write a new entry...sometimes I spend too much time thinking about what I will write and end up not writing at all.

Since September I have consistently read cjanerun (who btw just won the Weblog Awards for Best Major Blog) I have realized that I don't always have to have a purpose or a goal for every entry...I just need to DO IT after all cjane has a baby under a year old and has taken on the care of her sisters 4 children after her sister and her husband were badly burned in a plane crash.... if cjane can find the time to write witty and uplifting blogs nearly every day I can certainly find the time...how about if my goal is writing an entry everyday with a picture... it can even be 1 line or paragraph, I just need to be consistent...OK! I have verbalized my intent...or should I say "blogalized"!

I have been thinking a lot lately about "unfinished projects" and yesterday I dragged a dust covered box out from under the bed and when I opened it this(see picture above) was on the top.......this is a block for a quilt that I started 3 or 4 years ago, at a time when I had hours every day to devote to creative pursuits...sadly it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon with our economy failing and the bank account dwindling...so the challenge now, for me personally, is to try and find a few minutes each day to give myself some JUICE!

Creativity has always been my form of meditation and relaxation. I have come to realize that starting this blog last year, one of the busiest years of my life, was an attempt to hold a place for myself in my creative world and in many ways I was able to achieve that goal...however, the "not buying anything new" goal?...that is another story...one that I don't care to focus on now...I failed to make it to the end of 08 but I did make it until August....WOW!!!

Then....it all slowly came undone...but not in TOO bad of a way and to be perfectly honest I think I have always been a froo*gal, I just needed to stop using credit cards...like millions of other Americans...so onward and upward....believe it or not I actually ended the year working at Neiman Marcus so you can imagine the temptation there...30% discount (a couple of times even an EXTRA 30 off already marked down merch!!!!!)...try NOT SHOPPING in the Emporium of Style with that incentive...anyway...I digress.....

......so....about the daily creative activity that will actually WORK for me...you know the "middle of the night idea" I had...so this is it......

A QUILT A DAY...I am not talking a bed size quilt here, I am talking about a 16 patch...I am also not talking about stitching...I am actually trying to come up with a way I can make my quilts... easy to assemble, small, paper or fabric glued to paper, in a book, journal style, with NO LIMITS only that I have to document each day on this blog with a tiny quilt.

The goal is to CUT & PASTE 16 tiny squares into a journal every day.........let the journey begin.

2 comments:

Núria said...

Really Lovely your work. I spend every day few minutes on your blog, it was very interesting for me, and I have a question: how you are stamped or printed the picture on the textile???
Best Regards from Spain.
Núria

froogal said...

Hello Nuria!

The picture of the woman is a cigarette silk, also referred to as a tobacco silk. These 2.5X3 inch squares of silk were given as premiums when buying a pack of cigarettes in the early part of the 20th century. You can find them on Ebay if you search tobacco silks. There are themed groups of flags, flowers, queens, butterflies and such.

The triangular piece of fabric that says Bonne Fete was an antique French greeting card that I scanned into my computer and then printed unto a piece of silk.

Begin by printing the image on plain printer paper then tape the fabric directly over the image right side up and print the image again. If you tape the fabric along the top edge making sure that the top 2 corners are secure under the tape it will feed through your printer. Print a test piece first to make sure that your image is printing properly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

froo*gal